Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Blazing Fast FPS

I finally improved the FPS to hover around 60 on my laptop whether I am the host or the client!  As it turns out, the dynamically rendered minimap was killing the fps (10,000 quads drawn per frame, each one colored and blended individually) and so was the dynamic lighting engine for the host (pixels around the cursor were lit up every frame so the cursor was an active light source each frame.)

Now, the minimap is static and is pre-rendered once before the game begins.  Also, I threw the cursor-being-a-light-source idea out the window, and all units just radiate light for the host.

I also implemented a basic tile-blending layer which draws intermediate tiles in between different tilesets.  This look is much easier on the eyes, and even allows for very thin paths and rivers!

Now, I want to add in more interesting abilities and objects.  I plan on including computer terminals that can be hacked to disable electronics.  (The host would manually decide if the hack was successful and would disable the objects themselves.)

No comments:

Post a Comment